Thursday, January 13, 2011

Early Bird

A barechested Bob woke me up at 7:15 AM. Church would not commence for another two hours, but there was an urgent need for me to button his Sunday shirt. I did, without complaining. At 7:25, he reentered the room. "I need you to do my cuffs too." I did, with clearly visible, yet undetected, consternation. At 7:30, a loud 'BEEP' forces my eyes open again, "What are you doing!?" Bob, awkwardly bent over the voicemail machine located just inside my bedroom door, replies, "Checking my messages." "It's 7:30 in the morning! Why are you doing all these things?" "Oh!" came his surprised response, and he left the room. As soon as my head hit the pillow, a timid knock breaks the short silence. "WHAT!?" An 80-year-old head peeps out from behind the door, "I misread the clock---" "OK. OK. That's fine. I know." "I thought it said 8:30 instead of 7:30."